Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Online Marketing Summary

At my company, I've been meaning to put together a list of sales and marketing definitions for the other employees. Mainly because we're in the action sports industry (ASI) and I'm the closest thing to a "geek" in the sales and marketing side of things.

I set aside New Year's Day to knock this out, along with a couple other things. As luck would have it, a popular web strategy blog posted the exact thing I was trying to build.

So here are the steps I'm taking to make this available and relevant to my co-employees:

  • Grabbing the relevant definitions and placing them on our company wiki. The wiki has, up until this point, been used almost exclusively by our developers. It requires a little understanding of how to create a new page and mark it up. But as far as reading, all my fellow shred-heads need is their company log-in and password, which is the same as their e-mail. I parsed the article and only used the categories and definitions I thought were relevant, and generally only grabbed the first sentence or two.
  • Adding other definitions I feel are missing, and putting everything in layman's terms by modifying the above with my own words and other, more generic definitions I find elsewhere.
  • Including the most common examples (Google Ad Words, Ad Sense, Facebook, etc.) to bring it home.
  • Emailing the links to my fellow employees: the new page on the company wiki (they will still have to log in) and the original article (rather than sharing it via Google Reader)
  • Saving to a social bookmarking site for sharing this and other such articles in the future. Again, this is a departure from my previous habit of just sharing via e-mail on Reader, so it will be a good opportunity to learn something new.

No comments: